Myth Creations
When creating a myth you understand the creativity that goes into it. In a way it can even help future writing assignments by understanding the exposition and parts of a story that is required to make a proper story. For example, understanding when to have the beginning, middle, and end. This is something that can be used in a creative writing class. There are many times when people are told to just write a creative story, but in this case we took a real life example and turned it into something to make belief. It made it a lot more fun and comfortable to write the story, which some people might struggle with. Especially because in my current class alone, the environment is very comfortable therefore I do not feel embarrassed about writing something crazy. Now the way this enhances my understanding of myths was that I learned that pretty much anything can be turned into a myth. And in so many different cultures there are similar myths that intertwine with each other. Which is something pretty cool to think about. For example there are myths about characters named Thor and Loki, while in real life they have been made into superhero characters. I do not know if they are accurate in any way, but they are represented as Gods.
Kinana, I really enjoyed reading your post! I love how you connected myth-making to improving writing skills, especially in understanding story structure. You’re absolutely right knowing how to develop a beginning, middle, and end is essential for any type of storytelling, and creating a myth provides a fun and imaginative way to practice that. It’s interesting how you pointed out that turning real-life examples into myths makes writing more engaging and comfortable. That approach can really help people who might struggle with creative writing feel more confident in their ideas. I also found your observation about myths intertwining across cultures really insightful. It’s fascinating how so many myths share similar themes, characters, and even gods, despite coming from different parts of the world. Your example of Thor and Loki is a great one they were originally Norse gods, and now they’ve been reimagined in pop culture. Did you notice any other mythological connections while working on your story?
ReplyDeleteHi Kinana,
ReplyDeleteI think this would also be great for some kind of writing class or assignment. I also think you are right about what using real life examples does for the writer. Sometimes students struggle with their creativity and don’t know how to get a story started. Telling them to connect it to something in the real world and in their life might make the writing process easier. I found that once I found the topic that I was going to write on, I was set. My ideas came to me easily, although there were a few hiccups. I like what you said about the diversity of myths because of culture. I think that would also play a big role in the way that students write. They may unconsciously connect their own culture to what they are writing. If they do research ahead of time then the connection might be more apparent. This exercise is definitely something I will need to try in the future when I have my own class.
Hi Kinana! I loved that you stated you felt completely comfortable in our classroom setting, as I believe this is a very important quota to meet. Being able to create a safe and comfortable environment is essential for students to feel more at peace and have the drive to create something magnificent. Alongside providing a safe space for your students, including projects where everyone can participate and help keep a class engaged is hard work, but not impossible. I agree our myth projects were a great way for all to dive deep and use our creative AND technical writing skills.
ReplyDeleteHi Kinana, I like how you highlighted that creating a myth makes it easier to understand story structure. It’s so true that knowing how to shape a beginning, middle, and end makes writing more natural. I also get what you’re saying about how turning real-life examples into myths makes the process more fun and less intimidating, it gives you more creative freedom. The point about Thor and Loki is a cool connection. It’s interesting how ancient myths are still around today, just in new forms like superhero stories. It really shows how myths can evolve but still hold onto their core ideas. Overall, it seems like this experience made you see myths in a new light, which is pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteHi Kinana, your blog post does a great job of explaining your ideas about crafting a mythological story. You make a really important point about the necessity for a comfortable environment. Creative writing style classes need to have a comfortable environment, or else students will hold back ideas that might be good because they will be embarrassed. In my personal experience, I haven't taken many creative writing classes, but I feel confident in my myth piece because we have a strong classroom environment. I also liked how you pointed out that our class discussed myths across many different cultures. This allowed us to look at the many differing types of myth, which gave us greater knowledge when it came to creating our own myth. We could take elements from others to create our own.
ReplyDelete