Writing about Poetry VS. Writing Poetry
Writing about poetry versus writing poetry. Which is easier? I would definitely have to say that writing about poetry is way easier and my preferred thing to do. There are a bunch of different ways poems can be interpreted and you can find plenty of evidence and sources to back up those claims. However, when it comes to writing a poem, it just feels so vulnerable and like you're doing it the wrong way. Or at least that is how I feel when writing poetry. However when it does come to writing about poetry, you understand the method and what it takes to get a good outcome. And that sometimes you never even get the outcome you want, but other people might even like whatever your poem ends up to be. Another thing I learned is that almost everything can be made into poetry. For example, William Wordsworth wrote a poem from an inspiration he had while just taking a walk. Something from this experience I can use to teach is the freewrite and the wrecking the first person process. That was so incredibly helpful. Back when I was taking a poetry class, we obviously had to write a bunch of poems, but it was not everytime where we had some assistance like a freewrite of inspiration. Many times it was just, okay write a poem however you like about anything. If I was able to know about a jumpstart like this, I would have used this for almost all of my poems.
Hi Kinana! I definitely understand the difficulties in crafting one’s own poetry. It definitely amazes me that William Woodworth was able to craft a poem so conceptionally after a brisk walk! I absolutely agree with you with that for future educators. It would be such a wonderful and neat thing to practice the exercises that we did within our own lecture! I think it would truly actually create vulnerability and authenticity within future writers and students. The Freewrite and Breaking the First Person exercises both encourage students to craft and write, as well as break away any stigma that goes along with creating poetry. I find that for students trying to write poetry for the first time it can be difficult for them, as they could feel judged or lost. I think these exercises would create less stigma and more creativity, which is desperately needed in every classroom. I completely relate to you finding yourself a bit lost in your poetry class in which you were given no direction. I find that sometimes when crafting poetry professors often throw a task at you and expect you to produce anything! I think these exercise exercises are wonderful ways to create and take the pressure off of creativity. I found when doing these exercises in class I myself didn’t have to overthink in producing poetry. It allowed me to craft something that was personal and deeply meaningful.
ReplyDelete